Lacrosse Academy Mandate
As stated in our Bold Vision, Delta School District strives “to be a leading district in innovative teaching and learner success.”
We believe our Academy Programs are testament to our goal of engaging learners through stimulating, relevant and inspiring educational experiences. Each of our unique academies creates an environment where our students feel great pride and, in turn, great success. Our passionate teachers and outstanding professional coaches work hard at building positive, trusting, and encouraging relationships with our learners.
The Lacrosse Academy at Delta Secondary is an example of Delta’s commitment to offering choice programs that enable learners to engage in their passion during the school day.
Lacrosse Academy Goals
- Improve physical athletic skills through movement training (Bodyweight, Manipulatives, and Locomotives) and implementing invasive team game strategies
- Improve mental athletic skills through micro-blogging and journaling
- Improve both individual and team lacrosse specific skills
- Physical Lacrosse Skills
- Application of strategies and rules specific to field lacrosse
- Provide nutritional counselling for peak athletic performance
- Give students the opportunity to be actively involved in the development of the local youth lacrosse community
- Prepare students for post secondary lacrosse programs
Facts about the Program
- Open to Grades 8 – 12 male and female students with previous lacrosse experience
- Two blocks in a students timetable; the blocks occur every other afternoon
- Delta students may attend Delta Secondary part-time to participate in the Lacrosse Academy. Bell schedules are similar at each secondary school in Delta; lunchtime provides time for students to move between schools to attend an academy at another school.
- Bus transportation provided from Delta Secondary to sports facilities and back to Delta Secondary.
- Bus transportation from Sands, Burnsview and Seaquam Secondary to Delta Secondary and back is available. There will be an additional $50/month charge for this. (From South Delta to Delta Secondary and back is also available for $ 25 per month). Please note: Transportation to/from Delta Secondary is not available from Delview or North Delta Secondary.
- Bus transportation to Delta Secondary from South Delta Secondary at lunch each academy day and back to South Delta Secondary at the end of the day.
- Receive credit for PE at the appropriate grade, as well as, Science of Sport and Nutrition 10, or Superfit 11 -12
- Total of 8 credits per year toward graduation (Grade 10 -12)
Curriculum and Assessment
Link to Lacrosse Academy Assessment Rubric
- Dugald Morrison Turf
- Ladner Leisure Centre
- South Delta Secondary field
Regular Bell Schedule
|Time||Day 1||Day 2||Day 3||Day 4|
|Period 1||8:30 – 9:50||A||B||E||F|
|Period 2||9:56 – 11:19||B||F||A||E|
|Lunch||11:19 – 11:58|
|Period 3||12:04 – 1:24||C||D||G||H|
|Period 4||1:30 – 2:50||D||H||C||G|
Collaboration Day Bell Schedule – Collaboration time 8:30 – 9:30
|Time||Day 1||Day 2||Day 3||Day 4|
|Period 1||9:35 – 10:40||A||B||E||F|
|Period 2||10:46 – 11:52||B||F||A||E|
|Lunch||11:52 – 12:28|
|Period 3||12:34 – 1:39||C||D||G||H|
|Period 4||1:45 – 2:50||D||H||C||G|
Collaboration Dates for 2017/2018:
Sept 13, Sept 27, Oct 11, Oct 25, Nov 8, Nov 22, Dec 6, Dec 20, Jan 17, Jan 31, Feb 14, Feb 28, Mar 14, Apr 11, Apr 25, May 9, May 23, June 6.
4615 51st Street
Delta BC V4K 2V8
Phone; 604 946-4194
Equipment and Supplies
- Academy uniform provided includes: track suit, shorts, T-shirt and a reversible pinnie
- Students to provide lacrosse stick, gloves, pads, helmet and cleats/running shoes