Lacrosse Academy Mandate
As stated in our Bold Vision, Delta School District strives “to be a leading district in innovative teaching and learner success.”
We believe our Academy Programs are testament to our goal of engaging learners through stimulating, relevant and inspiring educational experiences. Each of our unique academies creates an environment where our students feel great pride and, in turn, great success. Our passionate teachers and outstanding professional coaches work hard at building positive, trusting, and encouraging relationships with our learners.
The Lacrosse Academy at Delta Secondary is an example of Delta’s commitment to offering choice programs that enable learners to engage in their passion during the school day.
Lacrosse Academy Goals
- Improve physical athletic skills through movement training (Bodyweight, Manipulatives, and Locomotives) and implementing invasive team game strategies
- Improve mental athletic skills through micro-blogging and journaling
- Improve both individual and team lacrosse specific skills
- Physical Lacrosse Skills
- Application of strategies and rules specific to field lacrosse
- Provide nutritional counselling for peak athletic performance
- Give students the opportunity to be actively involved in the development of the local youth lacrosse community
- Prepare students for post secondary lacrosse programs
Facts about the Program
- Open to Grades 8 – 12 male and female students with previous lacrosse experience
- Two blocks in a students timetable; the blocks occur every other afternoon
- Bell schedules are similar at each secondary school in Delta. Students move between schools during lunchtime.
- Bus transportation provided from South Delta Secondary to sports facilities and back to South Delta Secondary.
- Bus transportation from Sands, Burnsview and Seaquam Secondary to South Delta Secondary and back is available. There will be an additional $50/month charge for this. (From Delta to South Delta Secondary and back is also available for $ 25 per month). Please note: Transportation to/from South Delta Secondary is not available from Delview or North Delta Secondary.
- Bus transportation to South Delta Secondary from Delta Secondary at lunch each academy day and back to Delta Secondary at the end of the day.
- Receive credit for PE at the appropriate grade, as well as, Science of Sport and Nutrition 10, or Superfit 11 -12
- Total of 8 credits per year toward graduation (Grade 10 -12)
Curriculum and Assessment
Link to Lacrosse Academy Assessment Rubric
- Dugald Morrison Turf
- Ladner Leisure Centre
- South Delta Secondary field
SCHOOL TIMETABLE, BLOCK ORDER & CLASS TIMES
|BELL TIMES||Monday & Tuesday||EVERY Wednesday||Thursday & Friday|
|8:30 – 9:39||Collaboration Time
8:30 – 9:29
|8:30 – 9:39|
|FLEX(9:45 – 10:25)||9:35 – 10:40||FLEX(9:45 – 10:25)|
|10:31 – 11:40||10:46 – 11:51||10:31 – 11:40|
|12:25 – 1:35||12:34 – 1:39||12:25 – 1:35|
|1:41 – 2:50||1:45 – 2:50||1:41 – 2:50|
South Delta Secondary
750 – 53 Street
Delta BC V4M 3B7
Phone; 604 943-7407
Equipment and Supplies
- Academy uniform provided includes: track suit, shorts, T-shirt and a reversible pinnie
- Students to provide lacrosse stick, gloves, pads, helmet and cleats/running shoes